Even though some people are just catching on the idea of using braided rugs, they have been around for many years now. Today, the boutique designers have transformed the ordinary rugs into more attractive fashionable accessories with unique shapes and whimsical designs. Continue reading to find out if the rugs with braided designs are right for you.
Traditionally, braided rugs were made with natural fibers. These days, the rugs are braided from different fibers including blended or synthetic yarns. When compared to the natural fibers, these are said to be more durable and the colors will last much longer. You can find rugs braided with materials like tough polypropylene fibers for the patio. In addition, the braided corn mats are now made with synthetic fibers.
Different Types of Braided Rugs for Sale
These rugs will be the ideal choice if you want to spend less money and get beautiful and sturdy accessories. You can find a wide variety of rugs for sale in different sizes, shapes and materials. However, chenille and wool are the most popular braided rug materials.
- Wool Rugs: These are generally more expensive and are made from high-quality 100% wool. When it comes to warmth and durability, buying wool rugs will be a worthwhile investment.
- Chenille Rugs: You can choose these braided rugs if you are looking for inexpensive options that will give a great look like the braided wool.
- Capel Rugs: These rugs are made with a blend of wool, nylon and various other synthetic fibers. Capel rugs are also affordable, durable, and easy to clean.
Note that you can find other types of rugs with braided styles on the market. For instance, braided area rugs are great for casual spaces like a cozy den or children’s playroom. You can find beautiful cotton, chenille or wool shag area rugs, which are comfortable accessories for any room.
How to Make Braided Rugs
- First, decide on the material that you want to use. You can choose denim, cotton, wool or a combination.
- Next, cut the materials into strips. The thin fabrics should be cut in wide strips, while thick fabrics must be two inch strips.
- Sew all the strips of material together, starting from end to the next. This is important if you want to make neat looking braided rugs. You can iron out the strips, fold under the raw edges and then fold the strips in two before sewing them together. You can skip this if you want to make a rug with a rustic look.
- Now, you can braid the strips using the same technique for braiding hair. The longer braids will give you larger rugs.
- Lastly, you need to lace the rug together. As an example, to get round braided rugs start by making a tight circle at the end of rug and continue wrapping the braid at the center while sewing.
With the wide variety of sizes and materials available today, it will be easy for you to find the ideal rug to match your budget and any room at home. You will definitely love the braided rugs, because they are charming, durable, practical, and completely reversible.